Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in Britain and stands 1344m high, rising from sea level at Loch Linnhe and towering over the town of Fort William. Going from the bottom to the top of the mountain you pass through 4 different vegetation zones. There is snow on the summit for much of the year; indeed it is not uncommon to find 8 feet of snow on the top during April. Every year we run summer ascents of Ben Nevis, led by qualified mountain leaders. Our ascent from the visitor centre avoids the foreboding cliffs seen in the photographs, and follows a walking route that will take approximately 6-8hrs at a steady pace (the key to progress on a mountain is steady pacing and not speed and pause). If you are lucky with the weather then the views from the summit, and even from half way up, are quite stunning. On a good day you can see all the way to the majestic rock spires of The Isle of Skye and looking the other way, down Loch Linnhe to the Irish Sea. The trip is fully guided by an experienced mountain leader with lots of experience on Ben Nevis!
- 1 days guiding by an experienced guide on Ben Nevis.
- Distance - 11 miles/18km.
- Ascent - 4359ft/1329 metres.
- Summit - 4408ft/1344 metres.
- Accommodation is provided. Airport transfers can be added at a supplement
- We run this trip between May and October, however you can do the 'Ben' in winter to experience some winter mountaineering, see Ben Nevis - Winter.
- Many years experience on Ben Nevis - we also adhere to the mountain code and work with the John Muir Trust to ensure the conservation of ‘The Ben'.
- You need a reasonable level of fitness
We normally run this trip over a weekend, arriving Friday, walking Saturday and leaving on Sunday, however if you would like to do this at any other time then please contact us.
A typical itinerary looks like this:
|Friday||Meet up and transfer to accommodation. Evening meal, briefing, route planning and equipment check with your guide.|
|Saturday||Breakfast and then depart for Ben Nevis. Climb Ben Nevis following a route from the Glen Nevis Visitor Centre. Return to accommodation for evening meal, de-brief and celebratory drinks!|
|Sunday||Depart after breakfast either under your own steam or by return transfer to Glasgow Airport.|
Please note: This itinerary is a guide only. It can be subject to change dependent upon viability, course members' fitness, weather conditions or for any other reason the guide may deem necessary.
If you are making your own way to Fort William you should arrive the Friday afternoon/evening in time for the evening briefing and to be ready for the start of the hike the next day.
To do this trip you need to have a reasonable level of fitness. No previous mountaineering experience is required for this trip, however, the fitter you are the more you will enjoy your day.
The ascent (and descent!) takes 6-8hrs. You will be carrying a daysack and you may encounter inclement weather conditions.
We recommend that you follow a fitness plan in preparation for your challenge, an example of one will be sent to you when you have confirmed your booking.
Although the fitness plan we will send to you has been devised by a fitness professional, this is only provided as a guide and you should seek professional advice before starting your own fitness regime.
Dates - 2014
Weather conditions permit us to run this course anytime from May to October.
This trip is available for individuals and groups.
|02-04 May||Good availability||Book now|
|09-11 May||Good availability||Book now|
|16-18 May||Good availability||Book now|
|23-25 May||Good availability||Book now|
|30-01 June||Good availability||Book now|
|06-08 June||Good availability||Book now|
|06-08 June||Breast Cancer Campaign Exclusive||Book now|
|13-15 June||Good availability||Book now|
|20-22 June||Good availability||Book now|
|27-29 June||Good availability||Book now|
|04-06 July||Good availability||Book now|
|11-13 July||Good availability||Book now|
|18-20 July||Good availability||Book now|
|25-27 July||Good availability||Book now|
|01-03 Aug||Good availability||Book now|
|08-10 Aug||Good availability||Book now|
|15-17 Aug||Good availability||Book now|
|22-24 Aug||Good availability||Book now|
|29-31 Aug||Good availability||Book now|
|05-07 Sept||Good availability||Book now|
|12-14 Sept||Good availability||Book now|
|19-21 Sept||Good availability||Book now|
|19-21 Sept||Breast Cancer Campaign Exclusive||Book now|
|26-28 Sept||Good availability||Book now|
|03-05 Oct||Good availability||Book now|
|10-12 Oct||Good availability||Book now|
|24-26 Oct||Good availability||Book now|
If the date you want is fully booked or not listed please contact us - we may still be able to help!
Price & Inclusions
- Professional event organisation.
- Qualified mountain leaders.
- Evening briefing, route planning and equipment check to ensure you have everything you need and are suitable prepared for the following day.
- Two nights twin room hotel accommodation with breakfast. Single rooms are available at a supplement.
- Glasgow Airport arrival and departure transfers are available at a supplement.
- Group first aid kit with qualified first aiders.
2014 - £199pp
Glasgow Airport return transfers - £75pp (minimum numbers of 4 people need to be booking the same transfers for this to be offered).
Walk only price £99pp
Why book with us
We know you have a choice of companies to do Ben Nevis with. Here are some of the reasons you should choose to travel with Maximum Adventure:
- Established adventure travel business
- Been trading for 12 years
- Financially protected in accordance with 1992 travel regulation
- ATOL bonded
- Knowledgeable and available office staff
- Qualified leaders and guides with ascents ranging from ben nevis to mount Everest
- All activities are risk assessed
- We try to give you the best service we can
- We are aware this is your holiday/your challenge and will do our best to facilitate it
- Repeat clients stretching back many years